green bg
close up shot of teared divorce decree and engagement rings on wooden surface

Ocean County Post-Judgment Modification Attorney

Sometimes it can be difficult to keep up with the obligations that have been set out in your divorce agreement, including child support or alimony payments. In this situation, it may be possible to change the terms of your agreement to reflect your current circumstances. A court decides on marital issues with the facts available. They cannot determine what the future will bring. With that in mind, a court is willing to hear cases for modification. The success of your case can greatly depend on the circumstances and the evidence supporting the need for a modification. Whether you are a person requesting a modification or the one opposing it, it is important to have quality legal services ready to protect your rights and interests. For a consultation with an experienced post-judgment modification attorney, contact the Law Office of Sarina Gianna, LLC.

What is a Modification?

A modification to a divorce decree is a change to the ordered obligation of the parties. The legal standard for the court to approve a modification is quite high. The requesting party will need to demonstrate an ongoing and significant change in circumstances. This can include but is not limited to major life events, including a loss of employment, serious medical conditions, or other factors.

What Can Be Modified?

Our firm has helped numerous people modify terms of a divorce, requesting the court:

  • Raise or lower child support obligations
  • Terminate child support when a child becomes emancipated
  • Change or terminate alimony payments
  • Change how much time a child spends with each parent
  • Change a child’s primary residence

When you experience a significant life change, seeking a modification may be imperative. If you cannot abide by the terms of your divorce, do not ignore them. Reach out and let us help you get a modification.

Child Support and Alimony Modifications

When you experience a significant life change, your financial situation can change drastically. This can make it more difficult to meet your obligations. Seeking a modification to your order for child or spousal support can help you and your former spouse reach an agreement that is reasonable for everyone. Some reasons to request a modification to a support structure are a loss of employment, a major medical condition, remarriage, or a change in one party’s dependency. We also help people enforce existing orders for support when a former spouse is not abiding by the agreed-upon terms. If you are trying to collect the child support or spousal maintenance payments that you are owed, it is important to work with an experienced lawyer who understands your unique case and concerns.

Child Custody Modifications

Our firm also works with parents who are trying to change an existing child custody arrangement. As children get older and busier, it may be difficult for them to divide their time between parents in the same way. If one parent experiences a significant change in circumstances, that may also justify a change in child custody. We work to help parents come to a reasonable custody arrangement in cases of relocation and other times when they may need to revisit child custody.

Contact a Post-Judgment Modification Attorney Today

If you need a modification to a divorce decree or oppose one, it is important to discuss your situation with an experienced attorney ready to step in and represent your needs. The Law Office of Sarina Gianna, LLC provides quality legal services for clients in Ocean County and across New Jersey. Contact our firm to discuss your legal matter.