green bg
A golden statue of lady justice holding a sword and scales against a clear blue sky, symbolizing fairness and legal integrity in cases of domestic violence.

What to Know About Alimony Enforcement in New Jersey

You may be wondering about your options when it comes to alimony enforcement in New Jersey if your former spouse is no longer making full or regular alimony payments. To learn more, read on and reach out to our experienced New Jersey alimony attorney.

What should I do if I am not receiving my alimony payments?

Your former spouse’s life circumstances may have changed recently such as losing a job or suffering an injury that led them to stop making full or regular alimony payments. This topic is not always easy to discuss between formerly married partners. This is why you should retain the services of an alimony attorney who can contact your former spouse from a neutral point of view.

You may need to modify your existing alimony agreements if your former spouse has a legitimate reason for being unable to make regular or complete alimony payments. However, even if you chose to modify the agreements, arrears will need to be paid. If your former spouse is refusing to make payments without a legitimate reason for being unable to do so, you may need to take legal action. With the assistance of a dedicated New Jersey alimony attorney in your corner, they will help you to take action to enforce the alimony agreement. Our firm understands the emotional nature of these circumstances. We will work to communicate with your former spouse in a calm and clear way to assess the situation.

What are motions to enforce alimony agreements?

With the help of our experienced attorney, you will file a motion to enforce your alimony agreement if your former spouse is refusing to make accurate alimony payments as per your signed agreement without appropriate justification. This motion will include your own preferences regarding the resolution. This may mean that you will request all late payments to be made, your legal fees be reimbursed, or that your future payments are made in a timely matter.

In order to recover your payments if the notice of motion for enforcement of the alimony agreement is found to be in good standing, the court will take the following steps:

  • The court will place liens on owned properties to raise funds upon sale
  • The court will seize property of the other party to sell the items to raise funds for alimony payments
  • The court will work directly with banks to deduct funds from checking or savings accounts
  • The court will garnish wages to secure payment
  • The court will find the other party in contempt of court which is a criminal offense

Contact our experienced Ocean City firm

Matters of divorce and family law require the attention and skill of an experienced attorney who will fight for your future. Not only is your financial well-being at stake, but in a divorce, both you and your children’s emotional well-being are at risk as well. If you need a divorce and family law attorney in Ocean County, New Jersey, please do not hesitate to contact the Law Office of Sarina Gianna, LLC today to schedule a consultation.