If you are looking into adopting a child in New Jersey, you may be curious about the different types of adoption that are available in the state. To learn more about the different types of adoption in New Jersey and which process is best for you and your situation, continue reading and reach out to our experienced adoption attorney. We would be happy to assist you with the adoption process.
What are the Different Types of Adoption in New Jersey?
The following are the different types of adoption that are available to New Jersey residents:
- Private Adoption: Adopting a child through their biological parent or adopting a child the individual already knows. This option avoids the involvement of an adoption agency
- Second-Parent Adoption: A same-sex parent adopts their biological or adoptive child. This is done without terminating the first parent’s legal status as a parent
- Stepparent Adoption: Adoption with the consent of the non-custodial parent or the termination of their biological parental rights. Termination is typically seen only under the grounds of abuse or neglect
- Domestic Adoption: A United States resident adopting a child who was born in and lives in the United States
- Open Domestic Adoptions: Adoptive child’s birth parents consent to the adoption and have ongoing contact with the child
- International Adoption: Adopting a child from another country
- Adult adoption: Two or more adults transfer inheritance rights and/or filiation
- LGBT Adoption: LGBT couples have the right to adopt a child in New Jersey
Adoption is one of the most selfless acts a person can do. However, adoption is known for being an extensive and tiring process. Adoption can be a document-heavy and invasive process. This is reason alone to hire the assistance of an experienced adoption attorney who will assist you with the steps you will need to take. You will be required to participate in training courses, reference checks, background checks, home visits, and more. No matter the route you take, each type of adoption will come with its own set of obstacles. An experienced adoption attorney will prepare you for these steps and will walk with you along the way. If you require assistance with adoption in New Jersey, do not hesitate to reach out to our knowledgeable firm.
Contact our experienced Ocean City firm
Matters of divorce and family law require the attention and skill of an experienced attorney who will fight for your future. Not only is your financial well-being at stake, but in a divorce, both you and your children’s emotional well-being are at risk as well. If you need a divorce and family law attorney in Ocean County, New Jersey, please do not hesitate to contact the Law Office of Sarina Gianna, LLC today to schedule a consultation.