Post-Judgment Modifications in New Jersey | What to Know

When a couple gets divorced, there are a number of different matters to work through. You may have to determine child custody, child support, alimony, and more. These agreements are carefully created to ensure that they are fair to both parties, so once they are created, they can be difficult to change. That being said, you may be able to request a modification. Read on to learn more about post-judgment modifications in New Jersey.

What Matters can be Modified?

With the help of an experienced family law attorney, you should be able to:

  • Raise or lower child support obligations
  • Terminate child support when a child becomes emancipated
  • Change or terminate alimony payments
  • Change how much time a child spends with each parent
  • Change a child’s primary residence

What Circumstances Might Call for a Modification?

Once the matters of your divorce have been finalized, they can be difficult to change. That being said, the following circumstances may call for a modification:

  • Evidence of child abuse
    • If you can prove that your spouse has either deliberately abused your child or is unfit to be a parent in some way, you may request a child custody modification.
  • Remarriage or cohabitation
    • If your former spouse has remarried or is now living with another person, you may be able to terminate your alimony payments.
  • Your child has reached the age of emancipation
    • When a child reaches the age of emancipation, you may request to cease child support payments.
  • Your child is pursuing higher education
    • In some cases, despite a child being legally eligible for emancipation, certain circumstances, such as pursuing a college degree, may warrant the extension of child support terms.
  • Your child has changed his/her schedule
    • There are cases in which a custody agreement will need to be modified to accommodate your child’s lifestyle/ schedule.
  • A significant change in finances
    • If your former spouse has come into a significant amount of money, such as an inheritance, a raise, or even won the lottery, you may be able to request more child support/alimony. On the other end of the spectrum, if your former spouse has lost his or her job, he or she may be able to modify your agreement to provide less support.

Contact our firm to speak with an experienced attorney.

Contact our experienced Ocean City firm

Matters of divorce and family law require the attention and skill of an experienced attorney who will fight for your future. Not only is your financial well-being at stake, but in a divorce, both you and your children’s emotional well-being are at risk as well. If you need a divorce and family law attorney in Ocean County, New Jersey, please do not hesitate to contact the Law Office of Sarina Gianna, LLC today to schedule a consultation.