green bg
Silhouettes of a man and a woman standing back-to-back, both dressed in business attire, engaging in divorce mediation. The man wears a suit, and the woman wears a dress and heels.

How to Receive a Post-Judgment Modification During COVID-19

The COVID-19 pandemic has brought about unprecedented times for us all. We are all now facing a unique set of challenges, and individuals who are divorced, or are divorced co-parents are no different. If you believe the COVID-19 pandemic has brought on a significant and lasting change that is not accounted for in your initial divorce agreement, you may work with an experienced New Jersey divorce attorney to have those terms modified, either temporarily or for the foreseeable future. Please continue reading to learn more.

How do I know if I can modify the terms of my divorce?

There are various circumstances that may warrant a modification to your divorce terms. As long as you are able to prove that you are currently undergoing a substantial change since the initial agreement was reached, and that this change will affect you for the foreseeable future, you may receive a post-divorce modification. There are many different scenarios that may warrant a post-divorce modification, including losing your job, whether due to COVID-19 or not. However, if you recently lost your job and are someone who either pays alimony/child support and can no longer afford to do so, you may request a temporary modification to your divorce agreement. Additionally, let’s say either you or your spouse contracted the virus or are living in an area that has a high concentration of virus cases. Under these circumstances, you may request a temporary modification to child custody terms until the virus subsides/until you feel it is safe to begin exchanging the children once again. There are various other reasons you may request a post-divorce judgment, and there is a system in place to enforce your pressing concerns, even amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

How do I receive a post-divorce judgment?

Though you may know you are currently undergoing a significant change in circumstances, you will have to prove as much to New Jersey courts. That is why it is generally best to hire an experienced New Jersey divorce attorney who can work to uncover various documents that help prove your case. Some of these documents can include financial papers, tax returns, police reports, school records, and more. For any additional questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to our compassionate firm today. We are here to help.

Contact our experienced Ocean City firm

Matters of divorce and family law require the attention and skill of an experienced attorney who will fight for your future. Not only is your financial well-being at stake, but in a divorce, both you and your children’s emotional well-being are at risk as well. If you need a divorce and family law attorney in Ocean County, New Jersey, please do not hesitate to contact the Law Office of Sarina Gianna, LLC today to schedule a consultation.