green bg
complex child custody new jersey

How Do You Resolve Complex Child Custody Issues in New Jersey?

Divorce can be a difficult struggle to endure and a child custody dispute can transform a stressful process into nonstop conflict. Even when the court makes a decision, the fallout of the settlement can still incense and enrage both former spouses. Issues with child custody can persist long after the parties finalize their divorce if one or both former partners perceive the other as not doing their fair share. If you would like to learn how to resolve complex child custody issues in New Jersey, please read on, then contact an experienced Ocean County child custody attorney today. Here are some solutions to complex child custody issues in New Jersey:

What if you can’t reach a settlement in your divorce?

If you and your spouse can’t agree on a child custody arrangement, the court will require you to attend mediation. You should view this as an opportunity to sit down with a qualified, impartial mediator and try to work creatively to put your child’s best interests first.

Can you say no if your former spouse wants to move your child to another state?

Once you or your spouse have initiated divorce proceedings, the law prohibits both of you from moving a child out of state without the other parent’s agreement, unless you or your spouse has obtained a court order lifting this restriction. Otherwise, you or your spouse could face kidnapping charges for failure to observe the proper guidelines.

Can you reduce visitation time if your former spouse is regularly late?

If the noncustodial parent is late picking up or dropping off your child, you can take your former spouse to court to file a motion to reduce the amount of visitation time he or she has.

Can you sue if your former spouse prevents you from traveling with your child?

As the custodial parent, you have the right to take your child on trips. If the noncustodial parent attempts to stop you from traveling with your child, you can file a motion against the noncustodial parent. If you can demonstrate a good reason why the court should permit the child to travel outside the country, the judge will generally grant your motion.

Can you take legal action if there is drug or alcohol use around your child at your former spouse’s home?

If you suspect that your child is in danger because your former spouse is drinking, using drugs or exhibiting uncontrolled anger, you can file a motion in court. The court will consider your motion and could either change the parenting time arrangement or take steps to correct the offending behavior.

Please reach out to a skilled Ocean County family law attorney today if you have any further questions or would like to prepare a motion for the court to consider.

Contact our experienced Ocean County firm

If you need a divorce and family law attorney in Ocean County, New Jersey,  contact the Law Office of Sarina Gianna, LLC today to schedule a consultation.