green bg
parent and child

Do I still have to pay child support if my ex makes more money in New Jersey?

Divorce is never easy, especially when there are children involved. When you decide to end your marriage, you will be required to reach a mutual agreement on the terms that will apply to the termination of your marriage, such as child custody, child support, spousal support, and property division. Child custody is often one of the most contentious issues couples face when divorcing, as their valuable parenting time is at stake. However, even when couples reach a custody agreement, conflict typically arises when determining child support. In many cases, custodial parents wonder whether their ex will be required to pay child support if they make more money. Please continue reading to learn about parents’ child support obligations in New Jersey and how a trusted Ocean County Child Support Attorney can help you today. 

How is child support determined in New Jersey?

If you are the custodial parent, you will be awarded child support to cover the expenses of having a child. In New Jersey, child support is determined using the Income Shares Method. This method aims to ensure that a child receives the same proportion of parental income they would have received if their parents lived together. The amount of support is based on both parent’s income, using a combined percentage of their income to determine each parent’s share of child support.

What happens if I make more money than my ex?

If you have custody of your child and make more money than your ex, you are likely wondering whether they will still be obligated to provide child support. In New Jersey, parents are financially obligated to support their children until the age of emancipation. This age is typically assumed to be 19 unless parents have reached an agreement to extend beyond that into college or professional school.

When parents split, child support ensures that divorce does not negatively impact a child’s well-being. Essentially, it provides that a child benefits from the same standard of living that they would have benefited from if their parents were still married. That being said, regardless of whether the custodial parent makes more money than the non-custodial parent, the non-custodial parent is still financially obligated to provide financial support for their child’s basic needs. This is their food, shelter, education, healthcare, transportation, and other necessary childcare expenses.

If your ex is not complying with their child support obligation, please don’t hesitate to contact an adept Ocean County child support attorney, who can help you fight for the support you and your child deserve. At the Law Office of Sarina Gianna, LLC, we are prepared to help guide you through this complex process.