green bg
image of 2 people holding a child symbolizing adoption law in NJ

Child Support for Unmarried Parents | What to Know

If you are an unmarried parent and you are splitting up with your partner, you are most likely exploring your legal options. You may have a lot of questions regarding child custody and child support. This is a common situation and New Jersey courts have a system in place to handle it. Read on to learn more about child custody and child support for unmarried parents in New Jersey.

How Do New Jersey Courts Determine Child Custody for Unmarried Parents?

Since unmarried couples cannot legally get divorced, they must enter a different legal proceeding, known as a non-dissolution ‘FD’ Case. By doing so, you can establish legal paternity, enact legal custody orders for a child under the age of 18, establish parenting time court orders for biological parents, create grandparent/adult sibling visitation orders, and even legally enforce alimony or child support orders. In order to achieve these things, you should reach out to an experienced family law attorney to get started.

Can I Still Get Child Support if I Was Not Married?

New Jersey courts are looking out for the child’s best interests. New Jersey operates under the policy that children have a right to financial support from both parents, regardless of the relationship status of the parents. This means that children are entitled to share in the current income of both parents, which is reflected in child support determinations. For unmarried parents, the New Jersey Child Support Guidelines are used to determine child support.

These guidelines apply to parties with a combined net income between $170 and $3,600 per week. There are several factors that are also considered along with the guidelines. Some of these include:

  • The income and assets of each parent
  • The earning capacity of the child
  • The age and health of the child, and any special needs they may have
  • Debts and liabilities of each child and parent
  • The custody arrangement
  • The child’s need for further education

If you have any questions or concerns regarding child support for unmarried parents, contact our firm today.

Contact our experienced Ocean City firm

Matters of divorce and family law require the attention and skill of an experienced attorney who will fight for your future. Not only is your financial well-being at stake, but in a divorce, both you and your children’s emotional well-being are at risk as well. If you need a divorce and family law attorney in Ocean County, New Jersey, please do not hesitate to contact the Law Office of Sarina Gianna, LLC today to schedule a consultation.