What to Know About Post-Judgment Modifications in New Jersey

When a couple gets divorced, there are a lot of matters that will be carefully determined. For example, in New Jersey, a court will very carefully calculate child support in order to ensure that a child’s standard of living is the same or better than before the divorce. You may also have to determine child custody and spousal maintenance, among other things. But, in some cases, things change and these arrangements no longer work. If this occurs, you may need to request a post-judgment modification. Read on to learn more about post-judgment modifications in New Jersey.

What are Some Scenarios That may Warrant a Post-Judgment Modification?

There are various circumstances that may warrant a post-judgment modification. Some common situations include:

  • Child abuse: If you can prove that your spouse has either deliberately abused your child or is unfit to be a parent in some way, you may request a child custody modification.
  • Remarriage or cohabitation: If your former spouse has remarried or is now living with another person, there is a very good chance your former spouse will no longer require alimony payments.
  • Your child has reached adulthood: When a child becomes emancipated under New Jersey law, you may request to cease child support payments.
  • Your child is pursuing higher education: In some cases, despite a child being legally eligible for emancipation, certain circumstances, such as pursuing a college degree, may warrant the extension of child support terms.
  • Your child has changed his/her schedule: There are cases in which a custody agreement will need to be modified to accomodate your child’s lifestyle/ schedule.
  • A significant change in finances: If your former spouse has come into a significant amount of money, such as an inheritance, a raise, or even won the lottery, you may be able to request more child support/alimony. On the other end of the spectrum, if your former spouse has lost his or her job, he or she may be able to modify your agreement to provide less support.

How Can I Obtain a Post-Judgment Modification?

In order to receive a post-judgment modification, you will have to prove that your circumstances have changed drastically and warrant a modification. In order to do this, you should enlist the help of an experienced family law attorney. If you have any questions or concerns regarding post-judgment modifications in New Jersey, contact our firm today to speak with a skilled attorney.

Contact our experienced Ocean City firm

Matters of divorce and family law require the attention and skill of an experienced attorney who will fight for your future. Not only is your financial well-being at stake, but in a divorce, both you and your children’s emotional well-being are at risk as well. If you need a divorce and family law attorney in Ocean County, New Jersey, please do not hesitate to contact the Law Office of Sarina Gianna, LLC today to schedule a consultation.