green bg
hammer 719061_1920 1

What is a Post-Divorce Modification?

Though most people simply wish to put their divorce behind them, the truth is, as your life changes, you may need to revisit some of the terms initially established in your divorce. Fortunately, in many cases, you can obtain a post-divorce modification. Please continue reading and speak with our experienced New Jersey divorce attorney to learn more.

What are some scenarios that may warrant a post-divorce modification?

Some of the various situations that have granted post-divorce modifications in the past are as follows:

  • Child abuse: Rather obviously, if you can prove that your spouse has either deliberately abused your child or is unfit to be a parent in some way, you may request a child custody modification.
  • Remarriage or cohabitation: If your former spouse has remarried or is now living with another person, there is a very good chance your former spouse will no longer require alimony payments.
  • Your child has reached adulthood: When a child becomes emancipated under New Jersey law, you may request to cease child support payments. As long as the courts agree your child is capable of supporting him/herself, you should be granted a modification.
  • Your child is pursuing higher education: In some cases, despite a child being legally eligible for emancipation, certain circumstances, such as pursuing a college degree, may warrant the extension of child support terms.
  • Your child has changed his/her schedule: Let’s say, for example, your child has recently signed up for a certain sport or activity. In this case, especially if the activity is fairly regular, there is a very good chance you may request a change in child custody or parenting time to better accommodate your child.
  • Your former spouse has come into a significant amount of money, such as an inheritance, a raise, or even won the lottery. These are solid arguments to end certain support payments.

How do I obtain a post-divorce modification?

To receive a post-divorce modification, you will have to prove that any of the above scenarios are actually occurring, as well as prove that the scenarios are significant enough to warrant a modification. This is seldom easy, which is why you will have to hire an experienced New Jersey divorce attorney who can gather and obtain various types of evidence, such as police reports, school documents, financial records, police reports, and more. For a compassionate attorney you can trust, speak with Attorney Gianna today.

Contact our experienced Ocean City firm

Matters of divorce and family law require the attention and skill of an experienced attorney who will fight for your future. Not only is your financial well-being at stake, but in a divorce, both you and your children’s emotional well-being are at risk as well. If you need a divorce and family law attorney in Ocean County, New Jersey, please do not hesitate to contact the Law Office of Sarina Gianna, LLC today to schedule a consultation.